Chicken Minestrone Soup2015-02-25
- Skill Level: Easy
- Yield : About 3 Quarts
- Servings : 8 - 10
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 1:25 h
- Ready In : 1:45 h
Nothing warms the insides on a frigid winter day like a hot bowl of soup. Chicken Vegetable Minestrone Soup is a perfect, hearty meal all in one dish.
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded & diced (canned whole tomatoes are ok)
- 1 Zucchini, diced
- 1 Yellow Squash, diced
- 1 15-oz can Garbanzo Beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 15-oz can Red Kidney Beans, rinsed & drained
- 3 cups Shredded Cooked Chicken (1 4 pound roasted chicken)
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 C small Pasta, cooked al dente
- 1/2 lb Green Beans, trimmed & cut into 2" pieces
- 2 C fresh Baby Spinach
- 8 Basil Leaves, chiffonade
- 3 T chopped fresh Marjoram leaves (or Oregano)
- 1/2 C grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 8 C Chicken or Vegetable Broth
Heat olive oil in large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent (about 15 minutes). Add garlic and cook another minute, stirring & careful not to burn garlic.
Mix in carrots, zucchini, squash, bell pepper and cook another 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, broth, beans (garbanzo, kidney & green), chicken, 2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper. Bring to a low boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer uncovered for about an hour.
Stir in the pasta, spinach, marjoram & basil. Season with additional salt & pepper to taste.
Serve immediately topped with parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
Source (Who needs to reinvent the wheel…a great recipe is a great recipe!): Adapted from Fresh Every Day More Great Recipe’s From Foster’s Market, Sara Foster with Carolynn Carreno
Short Cut: Make this ahead of time and freeze as individual servings.
Think Out of the Ice Box: Make this vegetarian by omitting the meat and using vegetable broth instead.