White Bean & Kale Soup with Squash2016-01-03
- Yield : 3 1/2 - 4 quarts
- Servings : 12 - 16
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
White bean and kale soup is loaded with vitamins that both nourish and warm you on a chilly January day. This soup can be vegetarian or for the meat eaters you can easily add some leftover steak or chicken to make a hearty meal.
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 4 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 4 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 - 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 T Fresh Chopped Rosemary (2 - 3 sprigs)
- 2 C Peeled, Cubed Butternut Squash (1" pieces)
- 2 T Tomato Paste
- 2 - 15 oz cans White Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 2 Quarts Chicken Stock (can substitute with vegetable stock)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 10 oz. Chopped Kale
- 1 Parmesan Cheese Rind
- 1 C Chopped Steak (leftover from Grilled Steak recipe - OPTIONAL)
Heat stock pot on medium-low heat and add a few tablespoons olive oil. Heat oil until it looks wavy. Saute onions 3 - 5 minutes.
Add carrots & celery, sautéing 3 more minutes. Add minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper and saute another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add squash, tomato paste, chicken stock, kale and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, add cheese rind, and reduce to a simmer for 20 - 30 minutes (until squash is fork tender).
Add navy beans and steak. Serve with shredded parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
Short Cut: Prep the veggies ahead of time or purchase them pre-cut at the store.
Think Out of the Ice Box: Add roasted chicken instead of steak.